The Hampton Roads Chamber and the Small Business Development Center of Hampton Roads are proud to provide special recognition to the Hampton Road’s small business community by presenting an award to one business from each of the five Southside cities and one from the Peninsula. One small business of these six will then be chosen as the 2018 Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business of the Year. Small businesses are the backbone of our local and national economies, representing more than 95 percent of all employers, creating three-fourths of all new jobs, and accounting for more than one-half of the nation’s gross domestic product. For more than 30 years, the Hampton Roads Chamber has recognized one exceptional small business owner for his or her tireless work and embodiment of the spirit of enterprise.
A business mustmeet the following requirements to receive the 2018 Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business of the Year Award:
Small Business of the Year
- Meet the employment levels as established in the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- Gross revenues of less than $10 million in 2017
- Be in business for more than three consecutive years
Eligible applicants will be judged on the following:
- Financial performance and business history
- Staff training and motivation
- Community involvement
- Customer service and satisfaction
- Business plan or strategies and goals
- Strategy for growth
Nominating and Judging Process
Small businesses are encouraged to apply directly for the award. In addition, associations, financial institutions, and other companies may nominate small businesses that meet the award’s requirements.
Judging is done by a committee of experts after all applications have been received.