Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms Addressed the Virginia Beach Board of Directors on February 3
The Honorable Mayor was welcomed with a standing ovation at the Virginia Beach Board of Directors meeting on February 3. Virginia Beach Board President Joe Taylor stressed that the Hampton Roads Chamber supports the Mayor and his vision for the city and the region.
The Honorable Mayor was welcomed with a standing ovation at the Virginia Beach Board of Directors meeting on February 3. Virginia Beach Board President, Joe Taylor, stressed that the Hampton Roads Chamber supports the Mayor and his vision for the city and the region.
Mayor Sessoms gave a preview of his State of the City address scheduled for February 11. Highlights included:
- The city is financially sound and continues to be triple-A rated.
- The upcoming city budget will be better than in years past.
- Tourism is up 6.9% and brought in tax revenues of $115 million dollars.
- Sports Marketing has helped boost tourism
- The Arena will help Virginia Beach to be a year round destination with desired events such as the ACC Basketball Tournament.
- The proposed new pier will help the oceanfront to reach first class status.
- Successful openings of TopGolf and iFly bode well for the success of the pier.
- The city has a wonderful working relationship with military
- If there is BRAC, Virginia Beach will be on the offense rather than defense.
- Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story is growing
- The city and the region need to diversify the economic drivers.
- Bio-Medical: working with State to attract major company
- Cyber Security
- Broadband Connectivity: needs to be upgraded to attract major companies
- Light Rail
- Mayor is committed to making sure the city does not lose $155 million dollars in funding if there is a referendum
- Mayor is working with Transportation Secretary to explore options to retain funding